The Shaeffer Family

A look into all that god is doing in the Shaeffer family.

Crazy Weekend September 16, 2010

Filed under: Uncategorized — shaefferfamily @ 10:31 pm

I returned home from Memphis last Saturday evening (Sept. 4th). The next day I told Mike that I thought I was about to get sick. I just felt like my chest was starting to get congested. I wasn’t too concerned because Mike has been coughing for over a month and I figured I just had finally gotten it from him. Well, on Wednesday I started running fever. It was pretty low grade at first so I wasn’t that worried, but by the time I went to bed it was up to 102. When I woke up on Thursday my fever was still high so my good friend Cary agreed to take Cameron so I could rest. Friday was more of the same. From Wednesday to Saturday morning my temp. stayed around 101 – 102. I was only able to get it to break twice, and both times it was going back up within 30 minutes. By Saturday morning I knew that I had to go to the Dr. to get some medicine.

Soon into the doctor’s appointment it was obvious that this was worse than I thought. She told me that my vitals didn’t look good and she was going to do some blood work, start an IV (I was very dehydrated), and do a chest x-ray. When they did the IV I started to pass out and throw up. I never do that. Then they took me for the chest x-ray and saw that I had pneumonia in one long and she suspected it was in the other one too. She told me that I would probably need to be admitted to the hospital. She decided to let the IV fluids run for awhile and if I improved then she would let me go home instead. Well, after about 45 minutes, my vitals just kept going down. She decided not only did I have to be admitted, but I had to go by ambulence so they wouldn’t have to take my IV out. So, I called Mike, who was home with Cameron, and tell him he had to figure out a way to get him taken care of and meet me at the hospital. They made me stay overnight so they could do another chest x-ray after I was rehydrated. I did end up having pneumonia, but only in one lung. They sent me home with some powerful anitbiotics and strict instructions to REST.

Mike’s mom was already going to be coming down here in a week so she went ahead and came early to help me with Cameron this week. It has been such a blessing. It’s nice to have someone take care of you. It has surprised me how tired and weak feeling I still am. I definitely don’t feel like myself, but each day I get a little better. I think the hardest thing will be to still take it easy when I’m feeling much better. The doctor said I need to be careful for several weeks in order not to relapse.

Needless to say, this is not how I expected last weekend to go. I didn’t think I’d be in a hospital again until we have another baby. Hopefully that will be the case from this point on.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s